If you walked away from a fruitless job interview in college, would you expect to be working at that company as their Director of Marketing a decade later? Bri probably didn’t think so. In this installment of Dero history, she tells us about her custom touring bike and what it was like to interview with Dero during the company’s infancy.
Travis, our National Accounts Coordinator, is a man of many talents. On top of being a bike parking expert, did you know he also plays in local psych-folk band Lovely Dark? Today we take another look back at Dero’s history, this time through Travis’ words.
How long have you been at Dero?Six years this July.
Where is your favorite place ride?Next to friends.
What is your favorite bike to ride?Surly Crosscheck.
What sets us apart from other bike rack manufacturers?Our racks are designed by riders for riders and our main engineer is also a frame builder. With many avid bike riders on staff, we try to design our products to help cyclists. We’re a business but we believe in the “Field of Dreams” approach where good infrastructure is what leads to more cyclists and more work.
Do you have any funny stories from working at Dero?In the old space, we would have to shut down occasionally from squirrels chewing through our exterior wires. Our old owner Rolf owned a few model ship websites and we used to field the occasional random call regarding the specifics of model ships. This was not divulged at the beginning but quickly we figured it out. The ships are long since gone but I still have the infamous Swedish ship, the Vasa, perched in my living room.
Favorite rack, and why you like it?Ultra Space Saver. I have a set in my garage and they protected my bikes when it was broken into.
Why do people love Dero racks?We’ve been around for a long time. We’re not going anywhere and there’s a lot of quality and history that goes into our racks. We can also help people realize almost any bike rack and they can be comfortable knowing that it’s going to work.
We believe bikes are not just a form of recreation but an integral element in a path toward more sustainable systems of transportation, public space, and consumption. At the end of May, our LA regional Sales Rep Greg participated in the California North Coast Climate Ride, a 5-day supported tour that promotes environmental stewardship and education. Below are Greg’s reflections on his experiences during the ride and how his work at Dero cultivates an active approach to advocacy. (All photos by Greg).
Why did you participate in the Climate Ride?
Who did you ride with?
What kind of preparation did you do before the ride?
What did you learn about sustainability and active transportation from the ride?
Why do you support bicycling advocacy?
How does Dero support cycling advocacy?
The Dero Bike Rack Company, a leading and rapidly growing manufacturer of bicycle storage racks, shelters and systems, is looking for a full-time, hourly Inside Sales person. This career position offers a fast-paced work environment with good growth potential. Estimated start date is ASAP. To apply, email resume and cover letter to Stephanie Beebe at [email protected]. No phone calls, please. Please submit your application by 7/1/2015.
SummaryInside Sales Rep is a member of the Dero sales team. This candidate will focus on increased inside sales performance using the Reed Construction Database to submit quote proposals, find and track new leads and find additional sales opportunities through competitor specifications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Explore project leads in Reed Construction Database
- Find current projects in Reed to prepare detailed sales proposals, quotes and bids to potential customers
- Search competitors’ specified projects to suggest possible alternates
- Track share of projects specified to Dero vs. competitors
- Research projects in planning stages
- Work with marketing department to proactively market to architects
- Analyze market trends including project locations, project types, and common products
- Reach out to potential specifiers through emails, mailings, and cold-calling
- Focus on contacts, sales leads, project bidding via the following:
- Construction databases
- Internal vetted lists
- Prepare CAD layouts of installation locations (training provided)
- Follow-up with customers regarding sales related projects
- Help prepare sales goals and lists for pro-active sales
- Work with production and shipping to make sure timelines and quality goals are met
- Excellent organization skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word)
- Ability to learn multiple software and account systems
- Self-directed and ambitious
- Highly driven and able to work independently
- Can-do, helpful attitude
- Willing to work in a team/group environment
- Professional verbal and written communication style
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and conflicting deadlines
- Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor degree preferred with 2 years of experience in sales.
TravelNo annual travel
Computer SkillsTo perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint software. Dero will provide AutoCAD training
- Competitive pay
- 14 days PTO (prorated for the first year, with 1 additional day each year thereafter)
- 11 paid holidays
- Simple IRA (Dero matches up to 4%)
- Health and dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Bonus plan
- Alternative transportation compensation
People will ride more often if they know there is secure parking at their destination, and more people riding is a GOOD THING. That’s why we’ve shared our expertise in our new Pocket Guide to Bike Parking. Now it’s easier to read, download, and distribute than ever before. Click here to access a free, downloadable version of the guide. A limited run of printed pocket guides are available; please send requests to Ben Hovland at [email protected]